Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'm huge in China

As we walked through the city square in Tianjin Province, I noticed a group of teenage girls posing for a picture. And then, before my eyes, the photographer turned her body 90 degrees and took a picture of our people of Americans. There were about six of us standing on the sidewalk waiting for the rest of the group to catch up. I caught the young girl just as she turned to snap a photog of our group. I started smiling and waving! I thought it was hilarious. So, as we continued walking through the city square we noticed a few more people snapping photos of us. At one point I ran up and offered to just join in their picture. Boy was that a mistake. Of course that group of people was excited to have pictures of a real life foreigner, but then I was approached by three more groups. I tried to have fun with it and just smile.

Later that week we were in Tiananmen Square and Kyle got approached a few times. He posed for a couple of pictures with different groups of Chinese people. At the end of our day in Tiananmen Square a young Chinese boy, probably six or seven years old approached Kyle and starting talking with him. The boy's mom was really helping with the conversation, as the mom spoke much better English than the boy. Anyway, the boy said hello, asked Kyle's name, and then asked where he was from. Kyle answered all of the questions and then the mom asked if Kyle would take a picture with the boy. Kyle gladly knelt down on one knee and propped the kid up on the other knee. It was really quite funny.

No comments: